Like we talked about it in our article, Recycling Contamination Q&A, when we don’t recycle correctly, the entire batch of recycling can end up in the landfill instead of being recycled.
3 Questions to ask yourself before deciding if something goes in the recycling bin or the trash
- Is this item recyclable in my city? You’d be surprised at how many things that we think are recyclable CAN’T be recycled in OUR city. Check your list here
- Is the recyclable item free of chemicals, residue, and grease (like pizza boxes)
- Does the recyclable item have a “recycle number”? Your city may not accept all numbers for recycling. Plastics #1-7 are recyclable in Clearwater.
TOP 10 items that should NEVER go in your recycling bin:
- Organic waste
- All plastic film, wraps
- Electronic waste
- Scrap Metal
- Styrofoam food (take out) containers
- Household hazardous waste (paint, oils, cleaners, etc.)
- Frozen food containers
- Medical waste (medicines, needles, sharps, etc.)
- Recyclables should be loose/unbagged in the bin