Most places are giving you the option to bring in your own reusable cups and here is a list of reasons why you should!
- The US alone produces and throws away over 58 billion disposable cups each year.
- It’s not just the disposal of these cups that hurts our environment, but the production of them as well. The production alone means 20 million trees are cut down to make paper cups every year. Both the production and disposal of to go cups are dependant upon fossil fuels.
- 53,000 homes could be powered every year by the energy that’s used to make and dispose of paper cups.
- Disposable cups are meant to be used only once and can become a health issue as the chemicals begin breaking down into the liquids in the cups.
- 1% of disposable cups are recycled; realistically, most are not even recyclable.
- Most styrofoam cups are diverted to landfills where they break down into smaller and smaller pieces and will remain in our natural environment for over 500 years.
So, now that you know how dirty disposable cups really are, what can you do about it?
We at EnviroPerks have changed our own habits and we encourage you to do the same. Relax in the comfort of your own home while you enjoy your morning coffee, and make sure you grab your reusable cup the next time you’re running out the door. Not only are you saving resources and our planet by using a reusable cup but you also get the opportunity to show off your personality while letting everyone know that you care about our environment! Another important step is to share these facts with people you know–and even with random strangers. When you’re in line at a coffee shop or fast food place make sure the whole line knows why you are carrying that reusable cup; education is the most effective way of starting a revolution! The environment and future generations will thank you and so do we!